Around 150 members of the state’s school bus community convened at Clark County School District (CCSD) for this year’s school bus competition, which included an interesting take on the event’s theme, “Grease Lightning.”
On Saturday, May 1, competitors met to see who would be crowned the best of the best in the state. Attendees were also greeted by a Grease-inspired converted school bus that mimicked the 1948 Ford that John Travolta and his fellow T-Birds rebuilt in the iconic movie.
“It was a total success!” said Frank Giordano, CCSD’s transportation director, in a statement to everyone involved in the event. “Whether you drove, volunteered for one of the many committees, bought a T-shirt, button, or supported one of the many fund raising events, you made a difference.”
First place winners included:
- Transit: Carla Karafiat (CCSD)
- Transit rookie: Dawn Strazdon (CCSD)
- Special Needs (Mini): Anne Woodring (Washoe County SD)
- Special Needs Rookie: Dyrima Reed (CCSD)
- Conventional: Robert Bem (CCSD)
- Conventional Rookie: Jon Wadsworth (Pyramid Lake HS)
- Supervisor Category: Chris Mulhern (Washoe County SD)
- Overall individual Points Winner: Anne Woodring (Washoe County SD)
- Overall Team Points Winner: Clark County School District
Karafiat, Woodring and Bem will be representing the state at 40th Annual International School Bus Driver Safety Competition, July 24-25, in St. Louis, Mo.