A Riverhead, New York, school bus driver has been arrested after a drug task force raid at a school’s bus garage, according to Long Island News 12.
The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office says officers met Riverhead district bus driver Antwon Hayes as he was arriving at work last week and arrested the 31-year-old on charges of conspiracy to distribute narcotics, specifically cocaine.
In a statement, Riverhead Central School District Superintendent Nancy Carney said, “The district has been made aware of the arrest of one of our bus drivers. The charges are deeply concerning to the district. The employee has tendered his resignation today."
Suffolk police tell News 12 that there is no evidence that Hayes sold or tried to sell drugs to students, school personnel or on school property.
The DA's office added that more arrests are expected.
Hayes pleaded not guilty and was released without bail.
Latest from Gabriela Mungarro
- Daimler Trucks North America Celebrates a Century of Innovation
- New Ford Commercial Vehicle Center Program Keeps Fleet and Commercial Customers on the Road
- Tyler Technologies Purchases Building for its Transportation Group in Latham, N.Y.
- IC Bus Recognizes 2016 Diamond Dealer Awards
- Mother Arrested After Ordering Children to 'Box' on School Bus