The U.S. Department of Education’s REMS Technical Assistance Center is presenting Large Events Emergency Management at Schools online course to expand planning efforts for K-12 nationwide.
The courses cover the four phases of emergency management and more, including:
- Introduction to the Four Phases of School Emergency Management
- Developing a School Emergency Management Plan
- Preventing and Mitigating School Emergencies
- Preparedness in School Emergency Management
- Responding to School Emergencies
- Recovering from School Emergencies
- Emergency Management Considerations for Students and Staff with Disabilities
- Bereavement at Schools
- Pandemic Flu Preparedness in School Emergency Management
In addition to defining and describing the four phases of emergency management, the courses provide guidelines, checklists, and specific action items for school officials to consider. The courses also include case study scenarios on emergency incidents at schools, giving learners an opportunity to practice their emergency management decision-making skills.
The new courses are now available online.